With You Always resource for First Holy Communion and Reconciliation
The With You Always resource from September 2016 prepares children and ther families for First Holy Communion and the Sacrament of Reconciliation. The resource no longer prepares children for Confirmation.
This change came about as a result of Archbishop Malcolm McMahon's survey of parent, clergy, school and parishioner opionions about the Restored Order of the Sacraments of Initation. There were two outcomes of his sacramental survey:
Family Catechesis is a success and will continue to prepare families for the sacraments
1. Family Catechesis was widely praised as the way to prepare children for the sacraments, to engage parents and children in parish life, and to support parents as their child's 'first and best teachers'.
The parent pages have been redesigned to be easier to use. A sample of Session 3 parent pages.
Confirmation will be delayed until the teenage years
2. While opinion about the age for Confirmation was divided among survey respondents, the majority asked for a return to teenage Confirmation in the Archdiocese of Liverpool.
Confirmation as a topic has been removed from Sessions 4, 6 and 7. More detailed information here.
Reconciliation for young people... a tool kit
- This resource is flexible and adaptable
- Can be used in schools or parishes
- Can be used with young people or with young people and their families
As Pope Francis has so recently said: