Some ideas for celebrating Advent in the home, parish and school
• Advent wreath workshop for families to make their own wreaths
has excellent free resources.
Catholic Youth Work
has some good resources and links.
Advent Family Prayer
• Nativity play
• Christmas crafts and gift making for grandparents, etc. (Card making, hand print
Christmas art on cotton banners or bags, cookie decorating…)
• Travelling Nativity figures can be sent out around the parish as they journey to
• Reconciliation as a family during the Advent season by attending the parish
Reconciliation service together.
• Celebrate the feast day of St Nicholas on December 6th in the parish or school.
• St Nicholas treats include chocolate money, baked treats and a family celebration
with perhaps a small gift. Shoes are placed by the fireplace (or left outside the
bedroom door) to be filled with chocolate money. Special biscuits in the shape of St
Nicholas/Father Christmas are often available at the German discount supermarkets at
this time of year. It is also customary to eat gingerbread.
These web pages have excellent ideas for Advent, resources and illustrations: